Ranebennuru / Ranibennur (Kannada: ರಾಣೇಬೆನ್ನೂರು) is a city in the Indian state of Karnataka, this strategically located business place, is a home to one of the highest number of the seeds companies in India. The city being exactly at the center of Karnataka is in the Bayaluseeme but still very near to the Western Ghats (Malenadu Region) around 40 km.
The economy of Ranebennur is mainly the agriculture, business & industries. The long pending Upper Tunga Irrigation Project once completed will help the economy grow faster in Ranebennur Taluk. Ranebennur Taluk having the advantage of River Tungabhadra flowing & also NH4 passing thru the Taluk, is an industrial hub. Various industries of Seeds production, Iron ore, Textile, Chemical, Cement, Colors, Tiles, Cotton, Rice, ... operate in this region.
There are various tourist places in & around Ranebennur city. Here is the list of important places ..
* Ranebennur Blackbuck Deer Sanctuary also called in Kannada as Krishna Mrugha Abhyaranya, is located just 6-8 km away from Ranebennur city. This sanctuary is one of the only few Black buck deer sanctuaries in India. The sanctuary is also inhibited by highly endangered The Great Indian Bustard, but haven't been noticed in the recent past. Best time to visit the sanctuary is Aug - Mar.
* Various temples inside Ranebennur city are ..
Aduvi Hanumappa Temple, Choudeshwari Temple, Adishakti Temple, Siddeshwara Temple (Siddapana Gudi), Basavanna Temple, Shri Sumathinath Jain Swetambara Temple, Marulasiddeshwara Temple, Ayyappa Swamy Temple.
To the North of Ranebennur:
* Malasa Marthanda Bhairava Malatesha Temple at Devaragudda. (8 km)
* The Mukteshwara Temple at Chaudayyadanapura (24 km): The earlier name of this place was Shivapura, the name Chaudayyadanapura came because the 12th century social reformer Basaveshwara donated this village to Ambigara Chaudayya (A boatman) hence the name Chaudayya daana pura
* Honnamma Devi Temple, Honnatti (12 km)
* Galageshwara Shiva Temple at Galaganath (40 km): Its a temple built around 11th century by the chalukyas.
* Myalara / Mylara Lingeshwara Temple at Myalara (34 km) If there is a bridge connecting for that Mylara road in Ranebennur taluk, then the distance will be reduced by 10-12 km which would be around 24 km.
* Kuruvathi Basaveshwara Temple at Kuruvathi, which is around 2 km from Mylara & around 36 km from Ranebennur was built during the Vijayanagara Empire time.
* Someshwara Temple at Lakshmeshwara, (72 km)
To the North West of Ranebennur:
* Anjaneya Temple at Kadaramandalagi (12 km) dedicated to Lord Hanuman/Anjaneya.
* Kaginele, (36 km): The birthplace of the great saint Kanaka Dasa from the Kuruba community.
* Siddeshwara Temple at Haveri (34 km)
* Tarakeshwara Temple at Hangal (68 km)
To the South East of Ranebennur:
* Airani Fort, which is on the banks of river Tungabhadra is around 25 km from Ranebennur. A very good place to visit during Sankranthi.
* Harihareshwara Temple at Harihar is around 22 km from Ranebennur
To the West & South West of Ranebennur:
* Abalur (26 km): The birth place of the famous Kannada poet of 16th century Sarvagnya.
* Kadambeshwara Temple at Rattihalli, (26 km): Its an ancient temple built by the Kadambas.
* Madagh Masur Lake & Falls. (40 km): This has a scenic view of the lake surrounded by huge mountains. A small river - Kumadvathi is originated from this lake, there is also a small water falls near the lake.
* Udutadi near Siralkoppa, (56 km): Its the birth place of the famous kannada poet of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of 12th century - Akka Mahadevi.
* Balligavi / Belligavi also near Siralkoppa (58 km): Its the birth place of the famous Vachanakara/poet of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of 12th century - Allama Prabhu.
* Kaithabeshwara Temple at Kotipura near Anavatti, (60 km): This temple is built in the 11th century in the western chalukyan architecture.
A little far but worth seeing places are ..
To the West of Ranebennur:
* Banavasi, (95 km): Was once a capital of Kadamba Dynasty.
* Renukamba Temple at Chandragutti (90 km).
* Gudavi Bird Sanctuary (85 km)
* Keladi, (88 km): Head quarters of the Keladi Nayaka dynasty
* Ikkeri, (95 km): Second capital of Keladi Nayaka dyanasty
* Ikkeri, (95 km): Second capital of Keladi Nayaka dyanasty
* Varadamoola, (100 km): Birth place of River Varada
* Jog Falls, (120 km - 2.5 hrs drive): The world famous water falls.
To the North East of Ranebennur:
* Hampi, the world heritage center is around 150 km from Ranebennur.
How to reach Ranebennur:
From Bengaluru its 300 km (4 Hrs drive)
Route : Bengaluru - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Harihar - Ranebennur
From Mysore its around 335 km (6-7 Hrs drive)
Route: Mysuru --SH7--> Channarayapatna --SH74--> Arsikere --NH206--> Kadur/Birur --NH206--> Tarikere --NH206--> Bhadravati(By Pass) --NH206--> Shimoga --> Honnali --> Ranebennur
From Mumbai its around 680 km (10-12 Hrs drive)
Route : Mumbai - Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Belagavi - Hubballi-Dharwad - Haveri - Ranebennur
From Hyderabad its around 530 km (9-10 Hrs drive)
Route : Hyderabad - Mahbubnagar - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi - Hospete - Harapanahalli - Harihar - Ranebennur
There are a lot of Govt (NWKRTC, KSRTC) & Private (VRL, SRE, Mahadeva) buses plying from Bengaluru to Ranebennur.
KSRTC's mobile website (If you want to browse/book tkts from your mobile, use this website) ..
Also there are a quite a few buses plying from Mumbai/Hyderabad to Ranebennur. Checkout the same above websites mentioned for reservation.
Ranebennur railway station lies on the Bengaluru - Hubli broad guage railway line. All trains going from Bengaluru/Mysore towards North India (Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Jodhpur, ...) have a stop in Ranebennur railway station.
The nearest airport to Ranebennur is the Hubli Airport which is around 110 km. One can get flights to & from Bengaluru & Mumbai to this airport.
International airport near to Ranebennur is the Bengaluru International Airport which is around 300 km from Ranebennur. One can get flights to all Indian cities & lot of foreign cities from this airport.
Eat outs in Ranebennur:
* Evening snacks at Sangam circle (Mirchi, Mandakki, Bajji, Vade, ...)
* Hotel Nandi (For North & South Indian cuisine)
* Ananth Lodge
* Hotel Nandi Lodge
Photos of Ranebennur City
Photos of Ranebennur Region Tourist Places