Kaithabeshwara / Kaitabhesvara Temple at Kotipura / Kubatur near Anavatti, in Sorab taluk of Shivamogga District of the Indian state of Karnataka is one of the beautiful Chalukyan style temples built during the 11th century. The place Kubatur was initially ruled by the Kadambas (3rd - 6th century AD), later by the Badami Chalukyas (6th century AD) then by the Rashtrakutas (7 - 8th century AD), then by the Kalyani Chalukyas (10 - 12th century AD), then by the Hoysalas (11 - 13th century AD) & finally by the Keladi Nayakas (15 - 16th century)
Main entrance to the Temple complex
The Kaitabeshvara Temple at Kubatur is one of the early Temples of the Hoysala period of Vinayaditya datable to 1100 AD. Stylishly it closely resembles the Chalukyan Temples in plan, pillar order & shikara. At the left side of the entrance to the temple complex there is a small temple below the ground level. The lathe turned pillars which hold the roof is a typical Chalukyan style architecture.
Side view of Kaithabeshwara Temple
Kotipura / Kubatur is around 2 km from Anavatti towards Hangal.
From Bengaluru: Its around 360 km (5 - 6 hrs drive)
Route: Bengaluru --NH4--> Tumkur --NH4--> Chitradurga --NH4--> Davangere --NH4--> Ranebennur bypass --> Halageri --> Kod --> Chikkerur --> Anavatti --> Kotipura
From Hubballi: Its around 95 km (2 hr drive)
Route: Hubli --> Tadas --> Hangal --> Kotipura
From Shivamogga: Its around 100 km (2 - 3 hrs drive)
Route: Shivamogga --> Savalanga --> Shikaripura --> Siralkoppa --> Anavatti --> Kotipura
* Balligavi (25 km) - An ancient Temple city & birth place of Allama Prabhu a famous Vachanakara of 12th century
* Udutadi (30 km) - Birth place of the famous Kannada poet of Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of 12th century - Akka Mahadevi
* Talagunda (28 km) - Pranaveshwara Temple built during 5th century by Kadambas
* Hangal (25 km) - Once capital of Kadambas, this place has the beautiful Tarakeshwara Temple built by the Chalukyas during 12th century
* Banavasi (33 km) - The capital of the Kadamba Dynasty
* Gudavi Bird Sanctuary (26 km)
* Abalur (32 km) -Birth place of the famous Kannada poet - Sarvagnya
* Chandragutti (43 km) - Renukamba Temple
* Sirsi (50 km) - Marikambha Temple & many other tourist places
More Photos of Kaitabeshvara Temple, Kotipura ...